Today when you walk into Mel’s Sport Shop you can shop the wide selection of products available! Hunting accessories, hand guns, long guns, tactical gear, optics, ammunition, fishing accessories, lures, live bait, tackle, and clothing from top brands like FXR, Sitka, Striker Gear and way way more!

Mel's Sport Shop and gas station, built by Greg Melges in 1957.
Mel’s Sport Shop and Gas station – built by Greg Melges in 1957

Mel’s Sport Shop was started by Greg Melges in 1957. Greg opened a small bait shop across the street from Mel’s Curb Service drive-in restaurant, owned by his parents since 1946. The Melges family expanded the retail business from a live bait shop, to a fully licensed firearms dealer, sporting goods store, convenience store and gas station. The Melges family began selling a wider selection of sporting goods and fishing equipment. 

Greg Melges enjoying retirement after selling Mel's Sport Shop to Steven Wytaske.
Greg Melges enjoying retirement after selling Mel’s Sport Shop

In 2019 Greg was ready to sell the store, retire and begin experiencing the outdoors himself. He eventually found Steven Wytaske to take on the challenge of continuing to grow and expand the established business. 

Before Steven walked in the door, he had no shortage of plans for the future of Mel’s Sport Shop – his first move, adding a fully stocked Liquor Store. Now Mel’s Sport Shop is truly a One-Stop-Shop!


ABOUT H&H SPORT SHOP

Originally owned by Morry Eggana and Bill Baker, in 1950 H&H Sport Shop was a filling station and drive-in café. In May of 1957 the space was sold to Mrs. N.E. White, who renamed the station White’s Texaco.

Frank Hogan and Les Hamilton built a Food Mart addition, May 1991

In 1960 Frank Hogan and Leslie Hamilton purchased the lot from Mrs. White and renamed the business H&H Sport Shop. The following October Frank Hogan and Les Hamilton finalized their plans to construct a 24 x 40 building to modernize their drive-in restaurant, and move the existing drive-in to the back of the building to use as storage space. Their ultimate goal was to have more space to service cars as well as provide ample dining space.  

Jim and Jody Churchill, March 1995

Jim Churchill purchased the property from Frank Hogan and had a grand reopening on April 15, 1995. Jim and his wife Jody Churchill continued operating with the name “H&H Sport Shop” even though it was no longer the initials of the owners. Jim could often be heard around the store referring to it as “His & Hers Sport Shop” and would jokingly say that it would all be half hers eventually anyway, so he might as well stay calling it that.